Monday, July 12, 2010

A Combination of Art and Service Changing People

7/8/10
5:16 PM
This morning, Gerardo and I discussed art in front of the gorgeous painting he's been working on for the past few days. He has a few art books that we used to talk about different painters, and he told me that one of his favorite artists is Degas because of the movement he creates with the dancers. It was wonderful. Shortly after our discussion, my Conversational Spanish class came through for me, because I was able to give Gerardo a presentation about the Chicano muralist Judy Baca. I wanted to show him my presentation because I found many similarities between his works and her works, especially the clear emphasis on knowing your history and the where you come from in order to not lose your sense of identity.

Speaking, I followed my presentation showing my family another Conversational Spanish creation- Mi Vida - a 7 minute iMovie about my life. During this discussion about art and then viewing a synopsis of my life, I realized how much I’ve taken my family, especially my amazing my parents, for granted. My parents have sacrificed so much for me and my sisters and created so many opportunities for us that many children never get to have. Much of the art that I know is due to the trips to museums we used to take when I was younger. I owe them the world. So yes, thank you parents. :)

11:23 PM
Just hung out with the family for a few hours. I love being with people so full of laughter and love. Some great jokes about Milli Vanilli were exchanged. (Don’t ask.) However, my family is not only full of humorous people they also have a deep understanding of what is necessary for community development. They shared a video with me from Bucknell University about their Brigade program, which is apparently a service trip to Nicaragua during winter and summer break. It’s a lot more than just a trip though, the students and professors are building a relationship with the Ciudad Sandino community. I’d really like to study this more and look into something similar for PC. Gerardo said that these projects, like the mural project, change people. Both foreigners and community members alike. Children who would never be seen performing any “acts of service” or “work” for the community are learning about what community truly means and what it means to be an active part of the community. As Gerardo said, “Service changes people.”

And wow, I happened to just find these 2 quotes in my notebook from the Fall Pastoral Council training and I think they are very appropriate for my current situation:
“I hope to have the opportunity to touch the lives of others, and really work to be a true disciple of Christ.”
“Service helps me to deepen my faith, as it often challenges me to stretch my boundaries and think about life in new ways.”

No comments:

Post a Comment