Monday, July 12, 2010

Vivir o Sobrevivir

7/9/10
In lieu of taking a trip with Amanda to Matagalpa for a few days I decided it was more important to bond with my new family. So, this morning I woke up earlier than usual to go with Gerardo to Nueva Vida. After taking the 113 bus for 45 minutes we finally arrived and unfortunately the poverty was great and near the worse I’ve seen. However, I feel as if I was desensitized by seeing La Chureca because the level of poverty was no longer startling. Walking up to the clinic created by the Bucknell students there was a vastly different atmosphere simply because of the brightly painted walls. We left a world full of sadness to see a glimmer of color and a glimmer of hope. The clinic is nearly free (30 cordobas so roughly $1.50 per visit) and has transformed the community of Nueva Vida. Gerardo spends almost every day at the clinic painting a mural from 9-4, and allows any child who want to participate to do so. Today I got to be his assistant, and I was pleasantly surprised by my level of painting ability. The mural depicts different nature scenes of Nicaragua as well as the daily life of Nicaraguans. I have to say one of the most powerful things that happened to me today was when Gerardo left me alone for a few minutes, and I was approached by the janitress of the clinic, Petronila Gonzales. We got to exchanging life stories (because that is simply what is done in Nicaragua- or I just over share everything) and she told me many unsettling things. For instance, Petronila told me of her 14 year-old son’s intelligence and how he excels in school, but how his gifts are going to waste because he should be studying at a level that is more difficult for him and his school does not offer English classes. To truly improve your life in Nicaragua knowing English is a must, and Petronila does not have the money to afford English tutoring and there is no organization in her part of Ciudad Sandino that offers any type of English programs. She told me, “How could I have the money? When I must use the $100 I make a month to provide water, food, and electricity for my 7 children and 4 grandchildren [one of whom is very sick].” It was in that moment that I realized the majority of people in Nicaragua, not simply those who are selling things in the street, are not working to live but simply working to survive. Petronila repeated her name and her position at the clinic several times, and I was felt as if she wanted some sort of monetary compensation or for me to look her up when I got back to the US. It’s so frustrating for me to not know how to properly deal with situations like this. If I could give her son English classes I would, but I’m only here for another month and I’m already quite booked at the Center. I also didn’t know if I should give her the 10 cords I had on me, but then I realized Gerardo and I needed to get home somehow. I probably won’t ever know how to act properly in these situations, but I told Petronila it was wonderful to meet her and I would be sure to pray for her and her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment