Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hospidalidad y Corazónes Abiertas

"¡Bienvenido a Nicaragua! Ahora, esta casa es tuyo y yo soy tu nueva Mama y no te preocupas con nada. Roughly translates to, "Welcome to Nicaragua! This is your new home now and I am your new mother and you don't have to worry about anything." Those were the first words my host mother Doña Rita said to me upon entering her house on Sunday night, and after a day of new experiences and traveling those were just the words I needed to hear. My host family consists of my mother (Doña Rita), my brother (David, 23), my sisters (Gretchen, 30 and Ninosca, 28), and my niece (Jamie, 3). The hospitality and love the Martinez family shows me continues to take me by surprise even on my fourth day here. Doña Rita makes incredible Nicaraguan food, and every dish is made with a lot of love and a lot of gallopinto (translates to- painted rooster. Gallopinto is the national dish of Nicaragua). My sister Ninosca helps me with my homework from ¡Viva! Spanish School (which I attend every day from 1-3pm on the other side of the city). Gretchen is always smiling and is always willing to help when I don't understand something or if I need her to help me teach games to Jamie. And David shares my love of sports and we've spent time both discussing and watching the World Cup and the NBA Finals. David also walks me to the CCBN every morning at 8:30 where I help Greta (who has been a volunteer here at the center for the past 2 years and will be staying for another) teach a 2 hour ESL class.

The CCBN is just as beautiful and full of life and love as when I left during my visit in March. Greta has been absolutely wonderful in orienting me to life in Nicaragua and work at the center. She's introduced me to all the staff and taught me how to take the bus, how to take a taxi, how to act as a white woman in a Machismo culture, how to shop in the market- and my learning has just begun. Today was my second day of helping out with the adult ESL class, and the students are all happy and willing to learn. (I feel like I have a special bond with them because I'm learning how to speak Spanish just as they're learning how to speak English. ) Being in this ESL class reminds of English for Action, the ESL program I worked with during my freshman year, and I'm very grateful that I had the opportunity to work with EFA because now I'm going to be helping Greta (and another volunteer Amanda who is currently back in the states) create lesson plans.

It is evident how important the CCBN is to the members of the Batahola Norte community. It is an oasis in the midst of great poverty ( I notice new things on the bus every day- such as the large gap between the rich and the poor in Nicaragua. For instance, a Mercedes Benz dealership right next to a village of tin shacks. Oh, by the way, my house is very nice for Nicaraguan standards- we have a indoor plumbing, an indoor shower, a kitchen, a living room with a tv and a computer, and I have my own room on the porch to myself.). The CCBN truly gives individuals the opportunity to escape for a while from the hard life and dusty streets of Managua. I can see stark differences between those who have been given the opportunity to come here, and people who have not been so lucky. I've watched dance lessons, cake baking, band practice, and mural painting; all the talents of this amazing community- talents which are cultivated and cared for by the hardworking staff like the well tended gardens here. Talents which people thank God for and offer up to Him. The CCBN is a sight to behold. It just makes me wish there could be more CCBNs in Nicaragua. Actually it makes me wish there were CCBNs in communities around the world. Everyone here knows each other, everyone here sees that their lives have potential and purpose.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you got there safely, Hollis. Keep up the good work and count on our prayers. We're proud of you here in Friartown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hollis, the greeting from your host-mother must have been the best thing ever to hear upon arrival. I'm glad you got there safely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I MISS YOU!!! <3
    Can't wait to hear all of your stories!

    ReplyDelete