Sunday, June 13, 2010

Welcome to Miami... Bienvenido a Miami!

Sitting in the Miami International Airport it seems surreal that I'm one flight away from Nicaragua. Leaving my family at Logan this morning was very hard for me. I've never done anything completely by myself, and I was so nervous in the airport that my parents, Nealyn, and Kiernan were trying to do everything for me. However, I eventually got my bearings, took up my luggage, said multiple goodbyes to my family, and once past security I was on my way.

On the plane I had the pleasure of sitting next to a PC Alum (It's such a small world!), and a woman named Sarah who is a high school Spanish teacher from East Providence traveling with her class on a trip to Lima, Peru. We had a very fruitful discussion about Nicaragua, because both women happen to have traveled there before. (Evidently, I make friends fast and no longer felt lonely.)

After a smooth transition to talking about all of the terrible issues in the world, Sarah gave me some great advice. She told me, "Don't get depressed and overwhelmed while you are trying to make a difference in the world because it's impossible to change the whole world. Focus on one individual at a time, one piece of the puzzle at a time. Don't worry- you'll be great!" Sarah's positive attitude brought me hope and got me very excited about my experience. Her wisdom reminded me of the words of Mother Teresa that helped catapult me into a life revolving around service in the first place. (Funny, another Sarah I know just emailed me about this. By the way, thanks for all of the support everyone!) So here are some Mother Teresa quotes that I was introduced to in PSP 101 that really inspire me- because who wouldn't Google Mother Teresa quotes while waiting for a flight?

"We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean, I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop."

"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one."

"The fruit of prayer is a deepening of faith
And the fruit of faith is love.
And the fruit of love is service..."

" Love has to be put into action and that action is service."

"...it is not how much we do but how much love we put into the doing- a lifelong sharing of love with others."

"Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing."


"At the end of life we will not be judged by
how many diplomas we have received
how much money we have made
how many great things we have done.

We will be judged by
'I was hungry and you gave me to eat
I was naked and you clothed me
I was homeless and you took me in...'"

"Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is beauty, admire it. Life is bliss, taste it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a promise, fulfill it. Life is sorrow, overcome it. Life is a song, sing it. Life is a struggle, accept it. Life is a tragedy, confront it. Life is an adventure, dare it..."

Nica here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment